Even if you have a PS3, you will still want to play some of the exclusive Windows games. Playing the game with the keyboard and mouse can be quite tiring, especially if you are used to the PS3 controller. Buying an expensive controller to play one or two games may not make much sense here. What if you could run the PS3 controller or the PlayStation controller under Windows 10? Would not it be great?
Yes, there is a way to do it, but it takes more effort than connecting the controller to the computer. The method is not as simple as you would have liked. Nevertheless, it is easy and we will make sure that you understand this guide. Here’s the step-by-step process for your favorite PS3 controller to run under Windows 10. Now everyone can learn to use the ps3 controller on a PC.
How to Run Play Station 3 on Windows 10
The very first thing to do is to get a third-party driver that will allow the PS3 controller to run on a Windows 10 PC. Although there are many on the web, they are not all reliable. However, we tested and used the driver called Motionjoy on several computers running Windows 10 and that seemed to work without hassle.
You can download and install the Motionjoy driver from the official website.
Before you install and use the driver, make sure that your computer’s date has changed since 2014. The driver’s license expired in 2014 and therefore would not work with the current date. But, do not worry, it is always safe to use the driver and will pass all the security tests of your antivirus (if any).
The next step
If you use only Motionjoy, the PS3 controller will not work on your Windows 10 PC. Indeed, this controller is not officially compatible with any iteration of Microsoft Windows and we will have to modify some parameters. What you need to do is disable “driver signature application” so that the PS3 joystick works with Windows 10. Here’s what you need to do:
- Click on the Start menu and go to Settings
- Click Update and Recovery
- In the left pane, click “Recovery.”
- Select ‘Advanced Startup’ in the Recovery section.
- Now your computer will restart with advanced boot options
- Here you have to select Troubleshoot
- Now you have to click ‘Advanced Options’
- Select ‘Startup’
- Wait for the computer to restart again; this time, it restarts in the list of boot options, which you can modify.
- Search for “Apply Driver Signature” and disable it
- Now, press the F7 key on your keyboard and restart the computer.
- The computer will now restart in normal mode. You must then connect the PlayStation3 controller to your computer via a USB cable.
- In the system tray at the bottom, a bubble notification appears stating that Windows is installing the controller driver.
- Once the installation is complete, you will be able to see your PS3 controller in the “Game Controller” section.
However, you will still not be able to use it. Indeed, the Motionjoy driver has not been configured yet. Here’s what you need to do:
- Make sure the PS3 controller is still connected to the computer
- Now run the Motionjoy driver (the shortcut icon on the desktop is called DS3_tool).
- Once the DS3 tool is launched, click on the ‘Load Driver’ button (on the left, it is easy to find).
- You will now receive a “Windows Security” warning that the publisher is not being verified; ignore the warning and click on ‘Install this driver anyway’
- After a few seconds, the message “SUCCESS – Install Completed” appears.
- This means that your PS3 controller is ready for use with the Windows 10 operating system.
- You can go back to the DS3_tool window and click on the profile button. You will see your controller in the drop-down list under “Game Controller (s) connected”.
- Calibrating the PS3 controller
Now that the controller is running, you need to make sure the button movements are optimized for the games you will be playing on Windows 10. It’s easy! Follow these simple steps:
- Click on the Start menu
- Select devices and printers
- Right-click on the ‘HID compatible game controller’ icon
- Click ‘Game Controller Setting’.
- Select “Joy Joy Virtual Game Controller” and click the “Properties” button.
- Select the ‘Test’ tab in the following window.
- Here you can easily calibrate your PS3 controller